Learn how to compose an original score for a film scene. Learn how to develop a score concept and create harmonic, rhythmic, and melodic themes and motifs. Study the dynamics of a scene using sound design.
- Setting up your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)
- Creating Audio and MIDI tracks
- Importing Movie to DAW
- Selection of Virtual Instruments
- Tempo, Time Signature, Metronome, Markers
- Uses of Music for Emotional Content; Themes, Motifs, Ostinatos
- Textures, Dynamics and Sound Design
- Technical Applications for Exporting Music to Film; Frame Rate, Sample Rate, Bouncing Audio Tracks
Hands on experience and instruction using Ableton Live recording software
- 8 a.m. – Breakfast
- 9 a.m. – Creating the emotional musical impact and dynamics of a scene
- 12 p.m. – Lunch & free time
- 1 p.m. – Understanding tempo tapping, markers and volume levels for music with dialogue
- 5 p.m. – Dinner
- 6:30 p.m. – Activities / recreation / free time
Options could include: beach volleyball, Asheville Tourists game, observatory, game night, movie
- 11 p.m. – Lights out
Janet Rabin Phillips
Janet Rabin Phillips earned her master’s degree from the North Carolina University School of the Arts in film music composition. She studied under David McHugh (film composer for Mystic Pizza and Three Amigos) and studied audio recording by John Sisti (Oscar winner for Best Sound in Bram Stoke’s Dracula).
Janet’s skills include music for film, television shows, documentaries, animations, commercials and sound design for games. Janet’s most recent accomplishments are music scores for The Continuum Project and The Healer, commercials for Furnitureland South and The Museum of Science Fiction as well as game sound design for Virtual Heroes.
Janet is a producer and owner of Cinematic Cues, a music licensing company for film. Janet has also taught college courses in music composition, audio recording, sound design and digital effects processing.
- June 18 – June 23, 2023 – PROGRAM FILLED – REGISTER FOR THE WAITLIST
- Price includes lodging, meals, all course materials, activities, and excursions.
- A $500 deposit is due upon registration with remaining balance due by May 1, 2023. Click here to see our cancellation policy.
- Students reside in campus residence hall and dine in campus dining hall
- Enrollment is open until spaces are filled
- Registration is through the Camp Doc platform. Detailed registration instructions can be found here.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.